A bunch of my fellow gamers have asked me how I put this video together (it’s only a teaser of vids to come, but shows a few effects):
The Theater situation as it stands isn’t the easiest, but you can make it work for you, just have to know how:
1) First, find servers that are actually recording that day (and no, it’s not only Treyarch servers recording). I usually play one map on any server and as soon as it’s done, go back to the Main Screen -> Theater -> My Recent Games. If the game from the server I was just on is there, I’ll reconnect and keep playing. Arguably the most frustrating step (hopefully fixed by the time I post this).
2) Play for cool frags. Obviously a bunch of us love HC S&D, but towards more active & “lively” games. CTF, DOM, DEM have a lot more opportunities for any given timeframe then S&D does.
3) Once you’re satisfied with your frags, use a popular screen recorder to turn your theater replays into actual movies that you can then edit. Here is a list of popular screen-capturing tools:
- Fraps- http.//www.fraps.com (Most Popular)
- WeGame – http://www.wegame.com/download/
- GameCam – http://www.planetgamecam.com/
- Growler Guncam – http://www.growlersoftware.com/
4) When using the capturing tool, keep the following tips in mind:
- Make sure your HUD is turned off
- Make sure your Playback Control Panel is turned off
- Get some cool angles and different takes on the same frag or event!
- Use variable speed for some nice frag/explosion effects.
5) At this point you should have a bunch of unedited frag clips which you can now start piecing together. Plenty of the software out there can be used on a trial basis, so of the popular ones are:
- Sony Vegas – http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware (Popular in the CS scene due to easy time editing)
- Adobe After Effects – http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/
- Others include – Pinnacle Studio, Ulead Video Director, Adobe Premiere, Roxio Media Creator, etc..
6) Once you have a final movie, be sure to keep it 720p and upload in h.264 format (with a rate of c. 15mbps is good enough).
7) Share, have fun, plan the next vid